Wednesday, December 16, 2009

What Is Community?

The word Community is thrown around alot in church. I use it alot when talking about Life Church Franklin and others do too. So what is it?
My first thought is that it starts with you, not me. Why not me? Well, you have to take the first step in making yourself available. If you don't want to meet new people and building meaningful relationship with others, then what I do doesn't really matter. Building community means putting yourself "out there" to a certain degree. You have to be willing.
The second thought is that community means serving, giving, helping, etc... It can't be about what you're going to get out of it. The saying is, the more you put in the more you get out. That's true in building community. If it's all about you then it won't happen. People will see right through you.
The third thought is that is takes some time and it's a small, but meaningful, circle. As you enter into any environment that is bigger than about 80 people the reality is that you can't know everyone. I have lived in Franklin for over 13 years. I know tons of people through past work experiences, churches, sports and whatnot. Despite what my big city friends think, I dont know everyone in Franklin. It's just not possible and honestly it's probably not healthy. The more you spread yourself out the less time you have to really invest in someone else. Keeping is direct and intentional to a smaller group of people will have greater impact as you building relationships with those people.
The last thought is that you have something to offer. You have something to offer others. It could be your cheerful attitude. Maybe your spiritual gifts. Maybe the food you cook. I don't know what it is, you have to figure that out, but you can give, serve, help, etc... others. Thats where community builds from.
Jesus asks us to love our neighbor as ourselves. Giving, serving, helping... that's what community is.
Patrick

No comments: