Monday, August 25, 2008

Heaven

This Sunday was week 3 of "So You're Dead, Now What?". Craig spoke about heaven. It's funny how so many times we think of heaven from what we see and hear in movies, cartoons, stories, etc... and not really what Scripture tells us about heaven.

I remember at times thinking of heaven as something from a cartoon. White robe, gold gates, people with halos over their head floating around...You know what I mean. But man, heaven is so much more than that. In heaven we will worship and dwell with our God. The one who is over all the heavens and the earth. It's not like seeing a celebrity and being awestruck for a few moments. We will worship God and be with him forever and it will never get old and it will never be boring. It will be awesome. It's hard to truly put my mind around, but I just know that as good as I can imagine it will only get better.

Mercy Me says it pretty good in their song "I Can Only Imagine":

I can only imagine what it will be like, when I walk by Your side...I can only imagine, what my eyes will see, when Your Face is before me!I can only imagine. I can only imagine.

Surrounded by Your Glory, what will my heart feel?Will I dance for you, Jesus? Or in awe of You, be still?Will I stand in Your presence, or to my knees will I fall?Will I sing 'Hallelujah!'? Will I be able to speak at all?I can only imagine! I can only imagine!

I can only imagine, when that day comes, when I find myself standing in the Son!I can only imagine, when all I will do, is forever, forever worship You!I can only imagine! I can only imagine!

Remember God's promise to us who are made righteous through Jesus:
2 Peter 3:13 (The Message)
11-13Since everything here today might well be gone tomorrow, do you see how essential it is to live a holy life? Daily expect the Day of God, eager for its arrival. The galaxies will burn up and the elements melt down that day—but we'll hardly notice. We'll be looking the other way, ready for the promised new heavens and the promised new earth, all landscaped with righteousness.

P

No comments: