Monday, June 1, 2009

Our Response To God Saving Us

Ephesians 2:4 says, "But because of His great love for us, God who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in our transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved."

Last week Laurel and I and the family enjoyed a week long break on vacation. It was really refreshing to do much of nothing all week. Because I was so not busy, I had lots of time to think and pray. Nothing really struck me with great revelation until the drive back home. I was thinking about Ephesians 2:4.

The reality is that we have done nothing to deserve God's mercy or the gift of salvation. We have been "good" people. We haven't done something to justify being "good" enough to get to heaven. Scripture even says in Isaiah 64:6 that "All of us have become like one who is unclean,and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags...". So, even our greatest deeds we can try and do are not good enough.

God's standards are not ours. His goodness is not ours. His righteousness is not ours.

We I am getting at is this...we are unworthy. I am unworthy of God's love and grace and mercy in the context of what I am as a human. But, God choose to save us anyways through Jesus. He allowed you a way to be made clean and made new and made righteous and made good enough...but only through Jesus.

Our only heart felt response should be to live a life in gratitude and appreciation towards this display that God has made towards us and for us. We can't go through the motions anymore. We can't just get by. It's time we respond to God in thanksgiving and worship to him because he saved you and me. We did nothing but accept that invitation.

So how are you going to respond to God for what he has and is doing for you?

P

No comments: